This is an archived copy of the 2015-16 catalogue. To access the most recent version of the catalogue, please visit

The College of Education and Social Services

The College of Education and Social Services (CESS) offers undergraduate programs in Human Development and Family Studies, Social Work, and Teacher Education (Art, Early Childhood Education, Early Childhood Special Education, Elementary, Middle Level, Music, Physical Education, and Secondary Education). First-year students may elect an Undecided major while exploring the above options within the college. All programs require coursework in the liberal arts and sciences along with professional preparation through courses and internships in school and community settings.

Enrolled UVM students wanting to transfer to CESS should complete the online transfer form available on the CESS Student Services Office website. Students enrolled in appropriate programs in other academic units may apply to complete teacher licensure requirements for Secondary Education while they remain in their home college/school.

Students will only be considered eligible for transfer into CESS or dual degrees within licensure programs if they currently have an overall grade-point average of 2.50 or above; students in teacher education programs must also be able to earn an overall grade-point average of 3.00 or above by the time they reach student teaching and program completion.

Students must meet standards and requirements for each program approved by the College Academic Affairs committee, the college faculty, the dean, and the University Academic Affairs committee. Nine of the CESS undergraduate majors are nationally accredited and meet the standards of their professional group as follows:

  • Social Work by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
  • Teacher Education programs by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the Vermont Agency of Education. 

Criminal Record Check (CRC) Requirement

Students enrolled in the College of Education and Social Services majors should expect to complete a Criminal Record Check (CRC) as a prerequisite for working in schools and agencies. Evidence of a Criminal Record may prevent students from being eligible to fulfill the field placement/teaching internship requirement.

Students enrolled in the Teacher Education programs are required to complete the CRC to be eligible for the public school teaching internship that occurs during the Senior year. Depending on the program students may be asked to complete the CRC during the first-year, sophomore and junior years. The cost for fingerprints and FBI processing is covered by each individual student and is subject to change. More information about this process is available in the CESS Department of Education, Waterman 533. 

Human Development and Family Studies and Social Work majors are encouraged to complete the CRC upon enrollment at the University, as it may be needed in the first semester of coursework. Also most individual agencies require a completed CRC to be eligible for a placement. It is important to note that membership in professional associations upon graduation, at least in the case of most social work organizations, typically requires a criminal background check as does employment in an ever-increasing number of human service agencies.

Academic Performance Disciplinary Action

A student, regardless of class standing, is subject to academic disciplinary action, including dismissal from the university, if (a) the semester or cumulative grade-point average falls below 2.00; or (b) the student has failed six or more credits of coursework in a given semester.

Students who do not follow program requirements or who have not earned the required grade-point-average for their program of study will be warned of pending disenrollment. If a student remains on academic disciplinary action for two (2) successive semesters, a student will be reviewed for disenrollment or dismissal from the College of Education and Social Services.

Students with unsatisfactory academic records will not be allowed to participate in their senior internship/field placement and their degree conferment status may be jeopardized.