This is an archived copy of the 2015-16 catalogue. To access the most recent version of the catalogue, please visit


Degree Student Status

Definition: Undergraduate degree students who have presented appropriate credentials for admission and have been accepted as students in a degree program. The following actions apply only to degree students.

Intercollege Transfers

Degree students may transfer to another college/school within the University. To do so, a student must complete the online Change of Major/College form and obtain the approval of the Dean's Office to which they are seeking a transfer. Some programs require the completion of additional application materials.  Students seeking a transfer must have a cumulative GPA of 2.00. A cumulative GPA of at least a 2.50 is required for transfer admission into teacher licensure programs in the College of Education and Social Services. A semester and cumulative GPA of at least 2.30 is required for transfer admission into all engineering programs in the College of Engineering & Mathematical Sciences. Internal transfers to the School of Business Administration must have successfully completed at least one semester of calculus and one semester of economics before being considered for transfer.Transfers will be approved only if space is available and may be conditional upon students satisfactorily completing requirements set out by the new college/school. 

Readmission to the University

Degree students who have left the University for one semester or more must write to their dean to request readmission. Students must apply for readmission by October 31 or March 31 preceding the appropriate semester of return.

Withdrawal from the University

Degree students who wish to withdraw from the University must first notify their academic dean in person or writing.

Medical Withdrawal

Degree students who wish to withdraw from all current courses at the University for medical reasons must first notify their academic dean in person or in writing. For more information, please refer to the complete policy .

Leave of Absence

A leave of absence means that a student in good standing, who is eligible for continued enrollment, ceases to be enrolled and is guaranteed readmission.

  1. Students submit a written application for a leave of absence to their college/school prior to the beginning of the semester that the leave will take effect. To be confirmed, leave forms must be signed by both the student and their dean.
  2. Leaves are granted for a finite period of time, and normally may not exceed four semesters. A leave normally may not be granted to students on academic trial or disciplinary probation.
  3. While on leave, the student’s status is temporarily inactivated. A leave of absence guarantees an individual's readmission only if the student confirms intent to return by the closing date for a normal readmission application (October 31 and March 31 preceding the appropriate semester). A leave does not guarantee housing upon the student’s return.
  4. Unused financial aid will not be carried over. Upon readmission, students must reapply for financial aid according to the Office of Student Financial Services policies and procedures in effect at that time.

Distance Education Student Status

A distance education student is a student whose primary affiliation with UVM is as a student matriculated in a distance education degree or academic certificate program where the majority of content is delivered at a distance. There may be a minimal residency component of the program that is exclusively available to the matriculated distance education students. A distance student may not register for an on campus course, however a residential  student may register for courses offered through a distance program.

Students are billed according to their primary affiliation with UVM. These categories are residential or distance. When tuition differs between these categories, tuition is billed according to the primary affiliation of the student for any courses taken.       

Non-Degree Student Status

This category applies to non-degree students who have presented minimum credentials and have been permitted to undertake limited course work up to six credits, or two courses, per semester for a purpose other than the earning of a degree. Approval from Continuing and Distance Education is necessary for a student to exceed the six-credit maximum. Credits earned by non-degree students who later apply and gain admission to a degree program will be evaluated and, if appropriate, will be accepted toward completion of their degree.

Non-degree students may enroll for a maximum of six credits or two courses per semester in the day program.

Selection of courses for those having long-range plans of earning a degree in the daytime program should be made on the basis of information given in this catalogue. Students interested in making a formal application for admission to the university should contact the Admissions Office.

Students presently enrolled and in good standing at another institution may take courses at UVM to transfer to their institution. These visiting students are considered non-degree students and should contact Continuing and Distance Education for information and registration material.

Before completing thirty credits of course work through the evening program or summer session, degree-bound students should consult with an advisor at Continuing and Distance Education, submit an application for formal admission to UVM, and then should consult with the appropriate dean’s office to structure further courses into a degree program.

All non-degree students who would like assistance in planning educational programs and selecting courses should contact Continuing and Distance Education at (802) 656-2085.