This is an archived copy of the 2016-17 catalogue. To access the most recent version of the catalogue, please visit

Change of Graduate Program

If an admitted student wishes to change to a different graduate program offered at UVM, a request must be made by the student, in writing, to the Dean of the Graduate College. Upon receipt of the request and any new supporting materials, the student's file will be forwarded to the desired program for review. That program may require additional materials or a new complete application for consideration. If both the faculty of the desired program and the Dean of the Graduate College approve, the formal transfer of program is made in the Graduate College office with notification to the former program, new program, student, and registrar. The time limit for completion of the degree runs from the date of matriculation in the new program; however, all credits applied to the degree must be earned within 7 years of degree completion for master’s students and 9 years for doctoral students.