This is an archived copy of the 2016-17 catalogue. To access the most recent version of the catalogue, please visit

Enrollment Policies and Procedures

Health Record

The university requires that F-1 Visa students file an immunization record with the Center for Health and Wellbeing at the time of first enrollment. Appropriate forms are emailed directly to newly enrolled students through the Office of International Education and/or the Center for Health and Wellbeing.


Consult the UVM Academic Calendar and the Registration Schedule for registration dates. Students register for courses at the time and in the manner designated by the university registrar. Early registration is encouraged for both new and presently enrolled graduate students. Students may not register for courses unless tuition and fees for any current and prior semesters have been paid.

Students should consult with their program advisor before using web registration. All charges for the ensuing semester must be paid, or otherwise provided for, before registration is complete.

Graduate Course Levels

Courses which may apply towards a graduate program are numbered 200 and above. Not all 200-level courses are eligible for graduate credit. The 200-level courses that are eligible for graduate credit are included in the Graduate Catalogue course list. Graduate students enrolled in a  200-level course approved for graduate credit must take the course for graduate credit. Courses numbered 400 or above are limited to candidates for doctoral degrees; courses numbered 300 to 399 are limited to graduate students unless permission to enroll is given by the appropriate instructor, department or program.

Course Loads

Generally, full-time graduate students enroll for nine to twelve credit hours per semester, with normal maximum enrollment being fifteen credits per semester and nine hours summer. Enrollment in excess of fifteen credits requires written approval from the student's advisor and the Dean of the Graduate College.

Auditing Classes

Students wishing to regularly attend a course, but not receive credit, may register as an auditor, with the approval of the Dean of the Graduate College and the instructor.  Auditors have no claim on the time or service of the instructor.  Students must meet minimum levels of performance set by the instructor at the time of registration in order to receive an audit grade.  Tuition is charged at the applicable rate.  Under no circumstances will changes be made after the add/drop period to allow credit for courses audited. Tuition scholarships funded by the academic units or the Graduate College do not cover tuition for audited courses.

Physical Education Classes

Students may not enroll in physical education classes without prior approval by the Dean of the Graduate College. Graduate College or academic unit tuition scholarships do not cover tuition or any fees for physical education activities.


Courses may be added through the first five instructional days of the semester without instructor permission, unless indicated.  Adding a course between the sixth and tenth instructional day will be at the discretion of the faculty member and will occur by means of a faculty override.  Courses may be dropped through the first ten instructional days of the semester.  During summer and winter sessions, the add/drop period varies from course to course depending on when the class begins and how long it runs.

Withdrawal from Courses

From the eleventh day of instruction until the second business day after the 60% point in the semester, students may withdraw from courses.  To do so, students must use the registration system to withdraw from the course.  The student's advisor(s) and dean(s) will be notified.  The instructor(s) will be aware of the withdrawal by the Withdrawal status on the class roster and the presence of a grade of W on the grade roster.

Between the second business day after the 60% point in the semester and the last day of classes, students may withdraw from one or more courses only by demonstrating to their college/school studies committee, through a written petition, that they are unable to continue in the course(s) due to circumstances beyond their control.  Such petition must contain conclusive evidence, properly documented, of the illness or other situation preventing completion of the course(s).  Acceptable reasons do not include dissatisfaction with performance or expected grade, dissatisfaction with the course or instructor, or desire to change major or program.  If the petition is approved, a grade of W will be assigned and recorded on the student's permanent record.  If the petition is denied, the instructor(s) will assign a final grade (A-F) in accordance with the same criteria applied to all other students in the course(s).

Withdrawn courses are included in the number of credits used for billing purposes.  No withdrawals will be permitted after the last day of classes.  In all instances, withdrawal grades remain on the permanent academic record, but will not affect the grade-point average.

Undergraduate Course Enrollment for Graduate Credit (non-accelerated master's students)

During their final semester, UVM senior undergraduates may enroll for graduate credit at UVM under the following circumstances: the course must be available for graduate credit; the course must not be computed as part of the bachelor's degree; permission to seek such graduate credit must be requested of the Dean of the Graduate College in writing by the dean of the undergraduate college or school prior to enrollment for such credit. Such graduate credit is limited to six credits. It can be used only at UVM if and when the student is admitted to a UVM graduate program and only if the course is judged appropriate by the student's advisor for the graduate program. Generally, other institutions will not accept such credit, earned before award of the bachelor's degree, in transfer to their graduate programs.

Distance Education Student Status

A distance education student is a student whose primary affiliation with UVM is as a student matriculated in a distance education degree or academic certificate program where the majority of content is delivered at a distance. There may be a minimal residency component of the program that is exclusively available to the matriculated distance education students. A distance student may not register for an on campus course, however a residential  student may register for courses offered through a distance program.

Students are billed according to their primary affiliation with UVM. These categories are residential or distance and may be program specific. When tuition differs between these categories, tuition is billed according to the primary affiliation of the student for any courses taken.       


Students whose academic progress is deemed unsatisfactory at any time may be dismissed from the Graduate College by the dean upon consultation with the student's department or program. In addition, students may be dismissed if they receive two grades or more below a B (3.00), or they receive a U (Unsatisfactory) or UP (Unsatisfactory Progress) in Thesis or Dissertation Research, Seminar or Clinical Practicum. Students will be dismissed from the graduate program if they fail the comprehensive examination on both the first and second attempt or if they fail a thesis or dissertation defense on both the first and second attempt.