This is an archived copy of the 2016-17 catalogue. To access the most recent version of the catalogue, please visit

Fellowships, Assistantships, Traineeships, Stipends, and Grants

Students who wish to be considered for fellowships as well as admission must submit completed applications, with supporting materials, by March 1st of the academic year preceding that for which application is made, or the program's application deadline, whichever is earlier. Any applicant requesting fellowship, assistantship, or traineeship support must submit an official copy of the Graduate Record Examination score report.

Application for fellowships and assistantships is normally made by completing the appropriate section on the application form. No separate form is required except where indicated in the descriptions below.

Tuition scholarships accompanying Graduate Teaching, College, Research, and Student Affairs Assistantships do not cover audits or physical education activity courses, nor do they cover courses numbered below 200 or 200-level courses not approved for graduate credit, except upon prior approval of the Dean of the Graduate College.

Graduate Teaching and/or Research Assistantships

Graduate Teaching and/or Research assistantships are awarded through  many of the departments and programs offering graduate work. For AY  2016-2017, 9-month appointments have minimum stipends of  $16,000 for master's and $18,750 for doctoral students; 12-month appointments have minimum stipends of $21,333 for master's and $25,000 for doctoral students.

Graduate Teaching, Research or Research/Teaching assistants must maintain full time enrollment of a minimum of nine credits (or GRAD 903) per semester. In addition to the stipend, the assistantship award includes a tuition scholarship for up nine credits per semester (and up to 5 credits in summer if on a 12-month assistantship) during the period of the assistantship.

Approximately 20 hours of research and/or teaching effort per week is required of Graduate Teaching, Research or Research/Teaching assistants, and assistants must expect that more than one academic year will be necessary to complete the requirements for the master's degree. If a Teaching or Research/Teaching assistant is a candidate for the doctoral degree, at least four calendar years must be anticipated for completion of the academic program. Generally, assistants are appointed in the departments in which they are doing graduate work.

Student and Campus Life Graduate Assistantships

Within the Division of Student Affairs, a number of assistantships are made available annually that are supported at the same minimum level as teaching and research assistantships. Each assistantship provides graduate students a professional opportunity to support and develop the Division's goals and activities in its work with students. The candidates selected to fill these positions are assigned administrative and advisory positions in the residence halls, departments within the Division, and in other student services areas. Graduate students who hold Student Affairs Assistantships will gain valuable experience in the areas of group advising, administration, personnel advising, and educational programming. Such positions are open to either married or single students who have been accepted for graduate work in any of the academic programs of the university. The majority of graduate students are enrolled in the Higher Education and Student Affairs graduate program.

Selection is based upon academic record, character, recommendations, and quality of related experiences. A personal interview is required. Requests for applications and additional information should be addressed to:

University of Vermont
Student and Campus Life Graduate Assistantships
Nicholson House
41 South Prospect Street
Burlington, VT 05405-0094

Or preferably by email to Questions can also be directed via email: Completed applications must be received by January 1st for full consideration. Applications received after January 1st will be considered only for unanticipated openings. Appointments will be announced on or about April 1st.

Extramurally-funded Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantships are generally available when a faculty member receives a grant from a source external to the university. Graduate Assistants are generally appointed for twelve months with minimum stipends of $21,333 for master's and $25,000 for doctoral students for 2016-2017.  These stipend levels are pro-rated for reduced lengths. In addition to the stipend, the assistantship award includes a tuition scholarship for up nine credits per semester (and up to 5 credits in summer if on a 12-month assistantship) during the period of the assistantship from a combination of grant and UVM resources.

Approximately 20 hours of effort per week on the grant-sponsored project is required of extramurally-funded Graduate Assistants.  More than one academic year will be necessary for the completion of the master's degree, and more for completion of the doctoral degree. For information on the availability of extramurally funded assistantships, contact the chair or graduate program coordinator of the department.

Graduate Fellowships/Traineeships

Graduate Fellowships/Traineeships are available in some departments through grants from various state and federal agencies. Fellowships/Traineeships may include both a stipend and tuition scholarship.

Travel Mini-Grants

The Graduate College provides mini-travel grants to help students underwrite the cost of attending conferences where they will present papers or posters based upon their research. The Mini-Grants Program is administered by the Graduate Student Senate. Funds are awarded three times per year. The student's home department must provide a match. Further information on the Mini-Grants Program is available at the GSS website.

Other Fellowships

Fellowships established by private donors or through departmental resources are available periodically in some departments.