This is an archived copy of the 2016-17 catalogue. To access the most recent version of the catalogue, please visit

Financial Aid

Federal education loans are the primary sources of financial assistance for graduate students. Visit the Student Financial Services Information for Grad Students website for detailed information about financial aid programs. Those students with financial need who do not receive supplemental assistance in the form of assistantships or fellowships may find that their need based financial assistance is insufficient to meet their entire cost of attendance. It is important, therefore, for graduate students to fully assess their costs and resources before making a final decision about attendance.

Eligibility for federal financial aid is based on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), UVM’s cost of attendance, and any other sources of aid being received, such as funding from assistantships, fellowships, traineeships, or tuition grants. Students must meet core eligibility requirements for federal student aid, including U.S. citizenship (or permanent resident status), and at least half-time enrollment (five credits per semester).

For students seeking a Graduate Certificate, financial aid will generally not be available. For information on financial aid and financing options for a Certificate program, please visit the Student Financial Services Tuition, Financial Aid and Financing Options for UVM Certificate Programs website.

Application for Financial Aid

Students should apply for financial aid as soon after application for admission to the university as possible. The only financial aid application required is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Submit the FAFSA application online at the FAFSA website by March 1st (the university's priority financial aid deadline) for the following school year. Late filing of the FAFSA will not affect eligibility for Federal Stafford or Federal Graduate PLUS Loans. The UVM Title IV School Code is 003696. This number is required on the FAFSA to have the record sent to UVM. Student Financial Services will contact students via e-mail if any additional information is required in order to determine financial aid eligibility. For students who are starting their graduate programs in the summer, the FAFSA will need to be submitted for the prior and upcoming academic years. For example, if the program starts in summer 2016, students will need to file the 2015-2016 FAFSA to be considered for aid for the summer term, and the 2016-2017 FAFSA to be considered for aid for the fall 2016 and spring 2017 terms. In addition to completing the FAFSA, graduate students applying for financial aid may be required to inform us of their enrollment plans and funding they may have been awarded through their program through the Graduate Student Data form each year. Applicants will be notified of financial aid eligibility after admission to the university and the submission and review of any additional required documentation, but no earlier than late March for incoming fall students.

Students must reapply for financial aid each year. The FAFSA should be submitted online at the FAFSA website each year by March 1 for the following school year.

For Additional Information

More detailed information about the financial aid availability and procedures may be obtained from the UVM Office of Student Financial Services located in 223 Waterman Building:

Phone: (802) 656-5700
Fax: (802) 656-4076

Please visit the Student Financial Services website to find answers to questions or to submit an email to a Counselor by using the 'Ask Us' feature. 

Changes in Credit Hour Load

A student who adds courses during an enrollment period will be billed additional tuition and fees applicable to the adjusted credit hour load. Students who drop or withdraw from courses during the enrollment period will receive a tuition credit based upon the university’s published Refund and Bill Adjustment Policy which is subject to change. Financial aid will be reviewed and adjusted for any changes to the course load. It is recommended that financial aid recipients speak with Student Financial Services before withdrawing from or dropping courses.

Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid Recipients

Federal financial aid regulations require that financial aid recipients maintain satisfactory academic progress in order to remain eligible for financial aid. The UVM Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy for financial aid recipients is found in the Student Financial Services handbook and can also be obtained by contacting UVM Student Financial Services. All students should review the complete SAP policy to understand the requirements to remain eligible for aid.