This is an archived copy of the 2016-17 catalogue. To access the most recent version of the catalogue, please visit

College Credit for High School Classes

Credit through the Advanced Placement Program (AP) of the College Board is granted for scores of 4 or 5. Scores of 3 are acceptable for some exams. Consult UVM's AP credit guide for specifics. Official AP score reports from the College Board must be sent directly to the Office of Transfer Affairs in order to receive credit. AP course equivalencies are determined by the faculty of the corresponding subject area and are awarded by the Office of Transfer Affairs. AP credit is assigned a UVM course equivalency and applicability to the degree program is determined by the dean’s office of the student’s college or school. Students receiving transfer credit for AP may not receive credit for the same course at UVM.

Students who complete International Baccalaureate (IB) course work and receive a score of 5 or greater on higher level IB exams may be eligible for transfer credit (UVM does not award credit for standard level exams). Students may receive credit for course work without completing the entire IB curriculum. Up to one year of introductory course work may be awarded in a discipline.

College-level courses taken through high school cooperatives, such as Syracuse University Project Advance (SUPA), may transfer to UVM if they meet the standards set forth above by the Office of Transfer Affairs. Credit may also be obtained through a nationally standardized exam to demonstrate college-level subject mastery. Advanced Placement Examinations (AP), which can be taken while still in high school, or College Level Examination Placement (CLEP) would serve as recognized standardized exams. More information about UVM’s CLEP policy is available on the Getting Credit for AP, IB, and CLEP website. A third option is the UVM Credit by Exam. Contact the Office of Transfer Affairs for more information.