This is an archived copy of the 2016-17 catalogue. To access the most recent version of the catalogue, please visit

Financial Aid


Students who wish to be considered for assistance in meeting their university expenses with student loans, grants, or employment should consider applying for federal, state, and university financial aid. To be eligible to apply for financial aid, a student must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident. To be considered for aid, a student must also be enrolled at least half-time (six credits) in a degree program. Audited credits or Credits by Exam cannot be considered as part of the credits in determining financial aid eligibility. Students enrolling as non-degree (through Continuing Education) may be eligible for limited financial aid. Visit the Student Financial Services website for more information.

Financial Aid Application Procedures


Incoming first-year students who wish to apply for aid may do so by submitting the free application found on the Federal Student Aid website after January 1 and before February 10th and by providing any verification information requested by UVM Student Financial Services. Incoming transfer students and returning UVM students should submit their FAFSA online between January 1st and March 1st. Applications submitted after these dates will be processed in chronological order, subject to the availability of funds. In addition to following the procedures listed above, all students should apply to their state financial aid grant agency for assistance. Vermont residents should apply for a Vermont grant online on the Vermont Student Assistance Corporation (VSAC) website as soon as possible, as funds are limited.  Residents of other states should contact their state grant agency for more information.  To learn more about financial aid available from your home state visit, and click on the link for your state.

Financial Aid Package Provided by the University

The University of Vermont participates in most federal and state financial aid programs and must adhere to their requirements. Additionally, the university makes available a variety of grant and loan opportunities from its own operating and endowment funds. While most federal and state aid is based exclusively on student need, eligibility for university funds is based on student need and on the strength of the applicant’s academic record. Applicants will be considered for all aid programs for which they are eligible. Aid is most often awarded in combinations or “packages” of the various types of aid. Almost all awards will include some student loan.

Student loans are available to all students regardless of need in the form of Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans. To be considered, however, a student must APPLY for aid. After a determination of eligibility has been made by Student Financial Services, students will be notified if they qualify for “need-based” aid or for a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan.

In the awarding of UVM institutional financial aid funds, a student’s academic record is taken into consideration. Most federal and state financial aid funds are allocated solely on the basis of student and parent financial need.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Standard for Financial Aid Recipients

Federal financial aid regulations require that financial aid recipients maintain satisfactory academic progress in order to remain eligible for financial aid. The UVM Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy for financial aid recipients is found in the Student Financial Services handbook and can also be obtained by contacting UVM Student Financial Services. All students should review the complete SAP policy to understand the requirements to remain eligible for aid.

Veterans Educational Benefits

The university provides support and information to any veteran or dependent eligible for benefits under Federal Law, Chapters 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, or 1606 and 1607. Students eligible for these benefits should contact Student Veteran Services each semester to request an enrollment certification. Students wishing to register for benefits should be prepared to present their certificates of eligibility. UVM is a Yellow Ribbon school. Eligible students must apply annually.

Student veterans may also be eligible for Federal Financial Aid. For more information, including important deadlines visit here .

Student veterans may also go directly to the Federal Student Aid website to apply. Students involved in the Veterans program should contact the university in the event of any change in credit load, dependency status, address, or major. The phone number is (802) 656-0581.