This is an archived copy of the 2017-18 catalogue. To access the most recent version of the catalogue, please visit

The College of Education and Social Services

The College of Education and Social Services (CESS) offers undergraduate programs in Human Development and Family Studies (HDFS), Social Work, and Teacher Education (Art, Early Childhood Education, Early Childhood Special Education, Elementary, Middle Level, Music, Physical Education, and Secondary Education). First-year students may elect to be Undeclared/Undecided while exploring the above options within the college. All programs require coursework in the liberal arts and sciences along with professional preparation through courses and internships in school or community settings.

Enrolled UVM students wanting to transfer to CESS must complete the online transfer form available on the UVM Registrar's Office website. Students enrolled in appropriate programs in other academic units may apply to complete additional teacher licensure requirements for Secondary Education while they remain in their home college/school.

Students will only be considered eligible for transfer into CESS or dual degrees within teacher education programs if they currently have an overall grade-point average of 2.50 or above; students in teacher education programs must also be able to earn an overall grade-point average of 3.00 or above by the time they reach student teaching and program completion. Human Development and Family Studies requires an overall grade-point average of 2.00, and Social Work requires an overall grade-point average of 2.3 or above to be considered eligible for transfer.

Students must meet all requirements for each program set forth by the CESS Academic Affairs committee, the CESS Student Affairs committee, CESS faculty, the CESS dean, and the University Academic Affairs committee. Nine of the CESS undergraduate majors are nationally accredited and meet the standards of their professional group as follows:

  • Social Work: The Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
  • Teacher Education: The National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), and the Vermont Agency of Education. 

Criminal Record Check (CRC) Requirement

Students enrolled in the College of Education and Social Services majors should expect to complete a Criminal Record Check (CRC) as a prerequisite for working in schools and agencies. Evidence of a Criminal Record may prevent students from being eligible to fulfill the field placement/teaching internship requirement.

Students enrolled in the Teacher Education programs are required to complete the CRC to be eligible for the public school teaching internship that occurs during the Senior year. Depending on the program students may be asked to complete the CRC during the first-year, sophomore and junior years. The cost for fingerprints and FBI processing is covered by each individual student and is subject to change. More information about this process is available in the CESS Department of Education, Waterman 533. 

Human Development and Family Studies majors are encouraged to complete the CRC upon enrollment at the University, as it may be needed in the first semester of coursework. Also most individual agencies require a completed CRC to be eligible for a placement. It is important to note that membership in professional associations upon graduation, typically requires a criminal background check as does employment in an ever-increasing number of human service agencies.

Students enrolled in the Social Work major may be required to complete a CRC for the required service learning or field placement components of their coursework.  While not all agencies / organizations require this, almost all do. Faculty will work closely with students who believe they have an active record that might be exposed by a CRC.  As a result, it is important to note that there is no guarantee that a student will be accepted for required academic work in a community agency / organization and therefore may not be able to fulfill the requirements of this major.

Academic Performance Disciplinary Action

Any CESS student, regardless of class standing, is subject to academic disciplinary action, including separation/dismissal from the university, if (a) the semester or cumulative grade-point average falls below 2.00; or (b) the student has failed six or more credits of coursework in a given semester.

Students who do not meet program-specific requirements or who have not earned the required grade-point-average for their program of study are also subject to academic disciplinary action.

If a student remains on academic disciplinary action for two (2) successive semesters, a student will be reviewed for removal from their program of study, or separation/dismissal from the College of Education and Social Services.

Students on academic disciplinary action will not be allowed to participate in their senior internship/field placement and their degree conferment status may be jeopardized.