University Professorships

  • The Williams Professorship of Mathematics, 1853, honors Azarias Williams of Concord, Vermont, merchant and judge, native of Sheffield, England, who in 1839 deeded to the University extensive land holdings.
  • The Marsh Professorship of Intellectual and Moral Philosophy was established in 1867 to honor James Marsh, distinguished UVM president and philosopher of the 1830’s. Dr. Terence D. Cuneo is the Marsh Professor of Intellectual and Moral Philosophy.
  • The Pomeroy Professorship of Chemistry was established in 1878 by John N. Pomeroy, A.B., 1809, who lectured on chemistry and served as trustee of the University. Dr. Dwight E. Matthews is the Pomeroy Professor of Chemistry.
  • The Howard Professorship of Natural History and Zoology was established in 1881 by John Purple Howard, a generous benefactor of the University. Dr. C. William Kilpatrick is the Howard Professor.
  • The Flint Professorship of Mathematics, Natural or Technic Science was established in 1895 by a bequest from Edwin Flint. Dr. Chris Danforth is the Flint Professor of Mathematics, Natural or Technic Science.
  • The Converse Professorship in Commerce and Economics was established in 1899 by John H. Converse, A.B., 1861, LL.D., 1897, who as a trustee of the University proposed the teaching of Latin, modern languages, history, and other subjects. Dr. William A. Gibson is the Converse Professor.
  • The Samuel W. Thayer Professorship of Neurological Sciences was established in 1910 to honor Dr. Samuel White Thayer, Dean of the College of Medicine from 1854-71 and 1880-82, from contributions made by alumni of the College of Medicine. Dr. Gary Mawe is the Thayer Professor.
  • The John G. McCullough Professorship in Political Science was established in 1926 through grants made by Gov. and Mrs. John G. McCullough. Dr. John P. Burke is the McCullough Professor.
  • The Perkins Professorship of Zoology was established in 1931 to honor George H. Perkins, a teacher of science and dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. Dr. Judith L. Van Houten is the Perkins Professor.
  • The Elliot W. Shipman Professorship of Ophthalmology was established in 1934 by a bequest from Dr. Elliot W. Shipman, M.D., 1885. Brian Y. Kim, M.D. is the Elliot W. Shipman Professor.
  • The Lyman-Roberts Professorship of Classical Languages and Literature was established in 1941 to honor Robert Roberts, mayor of Burlington in the 1890’s and a University trustee from 1895-1939. Dr. Robert H. Rodgers is the Lyman-Roberts Professor.
  • The Corse Professorship of English Language and Literature was established in 1952 by Frederick M. and Fannie C.P. Corse. Dr. Lokangaka Losambe is the Corse Professor of English Language and Literature.
  • The Edwin W. Lawrence Forensic Professorship of Speech was established in 1965 by Edwin W. Lawrence, lawyer and financier of Rutland, Vermont, A.B., 1901.
  • The Sanders Professorship was established in 1968 by UVM alumni, honoring the Rev. Daniel Clarke Sanders, first president of the University. Dr. Pramodita Sharma is the Sanders Professor.
  • The John L. Beckley Professorship in American Business was established in 1983 by John L. Beckley, 1934 graduate of UVM a trustee from 1966 to 1970, to encourage economic education.
  • The Bishop Robert F. Joyce Distinguished University Professorship of Human Development was established in 1983 by alumni and friends, honoring Robert F. Joyce, 1917 graduate, a trustee from 1948 to 1954, and Bishop of the R. C. Diocese of Burlington for 15 years. Dr. Betsy Hoza is the Bishop Joyce Professor.
  • The Ernest Hiram Buttles Chair in Pathology was established in 1984 to honor Ernest Hiram Buttles, Professor of Pathology and Bacteriology, 1921 to 1946. Pamela Gibson, M.D. is the Buttles Chair in Pathology.
  • The McClure Professorship in Musculoskeletal Research was established in 1988 by J. Warren and Lois H. McClure. Dr. Bruce David Beynnon is the McClure Professor in Musculoskeletal research.
  • The E. L. Amidon Chair in the Department of Medicine was established in 1989 to honor Dr. E.L. Amidon, a revered teacher and former chair of the Department of Medicine. Polly E. Parsons, M.D. is the E.L. Amidon Chair in Medicine.
  • The Roger H. Allbee ’31 Professorship in Surgery was created in 1992 by Roger H. Allbee, M.D. ’31, to provide support for a research fellow in the Department of Surgery. Dr. Jonathan E. Boyson is the Roger H. Allbee Professor in Surgery.
  • The Gund Chair in Liberal Arts, established in 1995 by Gordon and Lulie Gund, provides the College of Arts and Sciences with the opportunity to attract a leading teacher-scholar to one of the liberal arts disciplines. Dr. Robert V. Bartlett is the Gund Chair.
  • The Harry W. Wallace Professorship in Neonatology was established in the Department of Pediatrics 1995 by the family of Harry W. Wallace to represent Mr. Wallace’s philanthropic interests. Roger F. Soll, M.D. is the Wallace Professor.
  • The Dorothean Chair of Engineering and Science was established in 1996 by Dr. Stuart Martin in memory of his wife, Dorothy Webster Martin, to support an outstanding individual in the field of engineering or a related science. Dr. Donna Rizzo is the Dorothean Chair.
  • The Henry and Carleen Tufo Chair in General Internal Medicine was created in 1999 by Henry M. and Carleen Ann Tufo to support continued excellence in teaching, research and patient care in General Internal Medicine. Benjamin Littenberg, M.D. is the Tufo Chair in General Internal Medicine.
  • The S.D. Ireland Family Professorship in Surgical Oncology was established in 1999 in recognition of the cancer research being conducted at the University of Vermont. David N. Krag, M.D. is the S.D. Ireland Family Professor.
  • The Robert F. and Genevieve B. Patrick Chair in Nephrology was created in 2000 through a generous bequest from the estate of Genevieve Patrick. The endowment is intended to support the study or specialty of nephrology. Richard J. Solomon, M.D. is the Patrick Chair in Nephrology.
  • The Robert F. and Genevieve B. Patrick Endowed Chair was established in 2000 from the estate of Genevieve Patrick. Dr. William Breck Bowden is the Patrick Chair in Watershed Science and Planning.
  • The John Van Sicklen Maeck, M.D. Chair in Obstetrics and Gynecology was established in 2000. The endowment supports the Chair of the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, who also holds the faculty position. Ira Bernstein, M.D. is the John Van Sicklen Maeck, M.D. Chair in Obstetrics and Gynecology.
  • The Gund Professorship of Ecological Economics was established in 2001 by Gordon and Lulie Gund and their sons, Grant and Zachary. Dr. Taylor Ricketts is the Gund Professor of Ecological Economics.
  • The Stanley S. Fieber ’48 Chair in Surgery was created in 2002 by Stanley S. Fieber, M.D. to enhance the research and educational activities of the Department of Surgery. Mitchell C. Norotsky, M.D. is the Stanley S. Fieber Chair in Surgery.
  • The Duncan W. Persons, M.D. ’34 Green and Gold Professorship in Ophthalmology was established in 2003.
  • The Lisa Steele Professorship in Nursing and Health Sciences was established in the College of Nursing and Health Sciences in 2003 by an anonymous donor. Dr. Paula Deming is the Steele Professor.
  • The Irwin H. Krakoff, M.D. Green and Gold Professorship in the Vermont Cancer Center was established in 2003 in honor of Dr. Krakoff, first director of the Vermont Cancer Center. It supports outstanding senior or promising junior faculty members in the VCC in cancer research. Claire F. Verschraegen, M.D. is the Irwin H. Krakoff, M.D. Green and Gold Professor in the Vermont Cancer Center.
  • The Heinz and Rowena Ansbacher Green and Gold Professorship in Psychology was established by Max, Ben, Ted, and Charles Ansbacher in October 2004 to honor the lifetime achievement of their father and mother, Heinz and Rowena, in the field of Psychology. Dr. Rex Forehand is the Ansbacher Green and Gold Professor in Psychology.
  • The Albert G. Mackay ’32 and H. Gordon Page ’45 Professorship in Surgical Education was established in 2005 to support the academic mission of the Department of Surgery. James Charles Hebert, M.D. is the Mackay-Page Professor.
  • The Cordell E. Gross Green and Gold Professorship in Neurosurgery was established in 2005. Bruce I. Tranmer, M.D. is the Gross Green and Gold Professor in Neurosurgery.
  • The Mary Kay Davignon Green and Gold Professorship was established in 2005 to support the strategic priorities of the Dean of Medicine. C. Lawrence Kien, M.D., Ph.D. is the Davignon Green and Gold Professor.
  • The John P. and Kathryn H. Tampas ’54 Green and Gold Professorship in Radiology was established in 2005 to support education and research in the Department of Radiology. Dr. Kristen DeStigter, M.D. is the Tampas Green and Gold Professor of Radiology.
  • The Samuel B. and Michelle D. Labow Green and Gold Professorship of Colon and Rectal Surgery was established in 2005 to support colon and rectal surgeons in the Department of Surgery. Peter A. Cataldo, M.D. is the Labow Green and Gold Professor of Colon and Rectal Surgery.
  • The A. Bradley Soule and John Tampas Green and Gold Professorship of Radiology was established in 2006 to support the Department of Radiology’s academic mission. Jeffrey S. Klein, M.D. is the Soule-Tampas Green and Gold Professor of Radiology.
  • The R. James McKay, M.D. Green and Gold Professor in Pediatrics was established in 2006 to support the research and educational activities in the Department of Pediatrics. Marshall L. Land, M.D. is the McKay Green and Gold Professor.
  • The Richard and Pamela Ader Green and Gold Professor was established in 2006 by Richard H. Ader ‘63 to be awarded to a faculty member in the College of Arts and Sciences or School of Business Administration. Dr. William E. Mierse is the Ader Green and Gold Professor.
  • The Raul Hilberg Distinguished Professorship of Holocaust Studies was established in 2006 by Leonard ‘51 and Carolyn Miller in the College of Arts and Sciences Holocaust Studies Program. Dr. Frank Nicosia is the Raul Hilberg Distinguished Professor of Holocaust Studies.
  • The Leonard and Carolyn Miller Distinguished Professor of Holocaust Studies was established in 2006 by Leonard '51 and Carolyn Miller in the College of Arts and Sciences Holocaust Studies Program. Prof. Alan E. Steinweis is the Miller Distinguished Professor of Holocaust Studies.
  • The Richard A. Dennis University Professorship was established in 2006 by family and friends of Richard A. Dennis ‘57 as a university-wide professorship, assigned at the discretion of the Provost, to recruit or retain a faculty member embodying the ideals to which Dick Dennis dedicated his life. Mr. Major Jackson is the Richard A. Dennis University Professor.
  • The Jerold F. Lucey, M.D. Chair in Neonatal Medicine was established in 2007 by Vermont Oxford Network, Inc. and other donors to advance the care of newborn infants and their families through research, education, and quality improvement in the Department of Pediatrics. Jeffrey Horbar, M.D. is the Lucey Chair in Neonatal Medicine.
  • The Thomas Achenbach Chair in Developmental Psychopathology was established in 2007 by the Research Center for Children, Youth and Families, Inc. to support research and education in the Department of Psychology. James J. Hudziak, M.D. is the Achenbach Chair in Developmental Psychopathology.
  • The Robert L. Bickford, Jr. Professorship was established in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences in 2007 by Robert L. Bickford, Jr. '43 and Oletha T. Bickford '41 to advance the teaching and research of a distinguished professor whose research efforts are at the intersection of nutrition, biochemistry and human health. Dr. Rachel K. Johnson is the Robert L. Bickford, Jr. Green and Gold Professor.
  • In July 2008, David and Roxanne Breazzano established the Breazzano Family Green and Gold Professorship to support an endowed faculty position in the College of Arts and Sciences. Dr. Jim Vigoreaux is the Breazzano Family Green and Gold Professor.
  • The Robert B. Lawson Green and Gold Professorship in Psychology was established in 2010 by the Segal and Davis Family Foundation of Charlestown, W.V., in honor of Dr. Robert B. Lawson, who retired in May of 2010 from UVM’s Department of Psychology. The professorship was founded to support teaching, service and research in the Department of Psychology. Dr. Mark Bouton has been named as the first Lawson Green and Gold Professor in Psychology.
  • The Roy Korson, M.D. and Lorraine Korson, M.D. Green and Gold Professor in Pathology was established in 2011 by the Korsons to promote academic excellence in the Department of Pathology.
  •  The L. Richard Fisher Professorship was established in 2011 by Dick Fisher to attract and retain high quality faculty in electrical engineering in the College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences.  Dr. Paul D. Hines is the inaugural Fisher Professor.
  • The Elliott A. Brown Green and Gold Professor of Law, Politics, and Political Behavior was established in 2012 to support an endowed faculty position in the Department of Political Science.  Dr. Garrison Nelson is the inaugural Brown Professor.
  • The Frank P. Ittleman, M.D. Professorship in Surgery was established in 2013 to help the College of Medicine and Fletcher Allen Health Care attract and retain nationally recognized cardiothoracic surgeons. Dr. Frank P. Ittleman is the first Ittleman Professor.
  • The Wolfgang and Barbara Mieder Green & Gold Professorship was established in 2013 by Wolfgang and Barbara Mieder to recognize outstanding faculty in smaller academic units within the arts and humanities, the social sciences, and education, beginning with the Department of German and Russian. Dr. Dennis Mahoney is the Wolfgang and Barbara Mieder professor.
  • The Steven Rubenstein Professorship for Environment and Natural Resources was established in 2013 by Steve and Beverly Rubenstein. Dr. Robert Manning is the inaugural Rubenstein Professor for Environment and Natural Resources.
  • The Peter Weimersheimer Endowed Professorship in Emergency Medicine was established in 2013 to advance clinical and academic Emergency Medicine at the College of Medicine and Fletcher Allen Health Care. Dr. Peter Weimersheimer is the first Weimersheimer Endowed Professor.
  • The Levitt Family Green and Gold Professorship was established in 2013 by an anonymous donor to reward high-performing faculty in the teacher education program in order to enhance their current research, scholarship, and teaching. Dr. Katharine Shepherd is the Levitt Professor.
  • The Virginia H. Donaldson, M.D. ’51 Professorship was established in the College of Medicine in 2013 by Virginia Donaldson, M.D. Dr. Stephen Higgins is the Donaldson Professor.
  • The Barrett Foundation Chair was established in 2013 by the Barrett Foundation to recruit and retain a new dean for the College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences.  Dean Luis A. Garcia is the inaugural Barrett Chair.
  • The Steven Grossman Endowed Chair in Entrepreneurship was established in 2013 by the Grossman Family Foundation to recruit and retain an outstanding faculty member to the School of Business Administration.  Dr. Erik Monsen is the inaugural Steven Grossman Chair in Entrepreneurship.
  • The Steven Grossman Endowed Chair in Finance was established in 2013 by the Grossman Family Foundation to recruit and retain an outstanding faculty member to the School of Business Administration.  Dr. Charles Schnitzlein is the inaugural Steven Grossman Chair in Finance.
  • The Steven Grossman Endowed Chair in Sustainable Business was established in 2013 by the Grossman Family Foundation to recruit and retain an outstanding faculty member to the School of Business Administration.  Dr. Stuart Hart is the inaugural Steven Grossman Chair in Sustainable Business.
  • The David Blittersdorf Professor of Sustainability Science and Policy was established in 2013 by David Blittersdorf to support a faculty position in the Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources that fosters collaboration with the College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences to build a sustainability curriculum addressing solutions to fossil fuel resource depletion and renewable energy.  Dr. Jennie C. Stephens is the inaugural Blittersdorf Professor.
  • The Mark J. Zwynenburg Green and Gold Professorship of Financial History was established in 2013 to honor Mark J.Zwynenburg '81. Dr. Jane E. Knodell is the Zwynenburg Green and Gold Professor.
  • The Cyril G. Veinott Green and Gold Professorship was established in 2014 as part of the philanthropic legacy of Cyril G. Veinott ’26 to enhance faculty support in the College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences. Dr. Joshua C. Bongard is the Veinott Professor.
  • The Elizabeth and David Daigle Professorship in Finance was established in 2014 to attract and retain high quality faculty in finance. Dr. Andrew Prevost is the Daigle Professor.
  • The Sarah Nichols Gruenig Green and Gold Professor of Diabetes Research was established in 2015 to benefit the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism in the Department of Medicine. John L. Leahy, M.D. is the Gruenig Green and Gold Professor.
  • The Robert Larner Professorship in Medical Education was established in 2015 for the College of Medicine Teaching Academy. Dr. Katheryn N. Huggett is the Larner Professor.
  • The Holly and Bob Miller Endowed Chair in Palliative Medicine was established in 2015 to recognize and support excellence in palliative medical education. Robert E. Gramling, M.D. is the Miller Chair.