All students must meet the Requirements for the Master's Degree
The Master of Accountancy provides a means of entry into the public accounting profession and positions in corporate, government and not-for-profit financial reporting.
Requirements for Admission to Graduate Studies for the Degree of Master of Accountancy
To be considered by the Graduate Studies Committee, applicants to the Master of Accountancy must meet the following minimum requirements:
- 4-year Bachelor's degree
- 2.75 (4.00 scale) overall GPA
- 500 score on the GMAT (or the GRE equivalent)
Students graduating from academic institutions in non-English speaking countries must demonstrate their abilities in English. A minimum TOEFL score of 90 is required for admission.
Students graduating from the University of Vermont, St. Michael's College, or an accredited U.S. institution with a major or concentration in accounting or finance should consult the MAcc Program webpage for additional specific information.
Prerequisite Courses include:
- Macro Economics
- Micro Economics
- Business Statistics
- Principles of Financial Accounting
- Principles of Managerial Accounting
- Intermediate Accounting 1
- Intermediate Accounting 2
Minimum Degree Requirements
The program requires 30 graduate credit hours made up of:
- 18 credit hours of accounting, auditing and tax knowledge;
- 3 credit hours of CPA law;
- 3 credit hours of Professional Communications; and
- 6 credit hours of graduate-level business electives. [Students who completed an undergraduate business degree have the option of replacing one of these business electives with one additional accounting course.]
The program emphasizes appropriate research strategies and techniques, effective business writing, and professional presentation skills. Students work closely with their academic advisor to design a course of study that best suits their future career objectives and prior course work.
Students who meet the prerequisite requirements can complete the MAcc program in one year. Spring admission is only permitted for students who plan to spend at least three semesters in the program. International students will likely require two years to complete the program. The capstone course must be completed in the final spring semester of study.
MAcc students complete the comprehensive examination through successful completion of the capstone course, BSAD 361.
Requirements for Advancement to Candidacy for the Degree of Master of Accountancy
Successful completion of any prerequisite courses, and at least 15 graded graduate credits with a 3.00 GPA or better, including all core courses.