Financial Aid Programs

Federal Direct Loan Programs

The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan and Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan programs are the primary source of financial assistance for graduate students. Students who submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will be reviewed for loan and work-study eligibility. The financial aid offer provided by Student Financial Services will indicate eligibility and provide information on next steps, including loan application procedures. Read more about the types of federal financial aid for graduate students.

Veterans Benefits

The university provides support and information to any veteran or dependent eligible for benefits under Federal Law, Chapters 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, or 106. Students eligible for these benefits should contact the Registrar's Office at least one month prior to registration each semester. Students wishing to register for benefits should be prepared to present their certificates of eligibility. Read the information for Veterans regarding application for and use of GI Bill® benefits, including the Yellow Ribbon Program. GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Students involved in the Veterans Program should contact the university in the event of any change in credit load, dependency status, address, or major. The phone number is (802) 656-0581.

New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE) Tuition Break Program

The New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE) Tuition Break Program is an opportunity for qualified legal residents of New England states to enroll at discounted tuition for some programs that are not offered by the home state university but are offered in another New England state. You can learn more about the tuition break policy for UVM graduate students through the New England Board of Higher Education (NEBHE).

Applicants must indicate to the Office of Graduate Admissions that they are seeking admission under the terms of the NEBHE Tuition Break Program. Applicants are then sent an application to apply under the NEBHE Tuition Break Program where they are requested to provide residency information and supporting documentation. In cases where the program of study is clearly unique or distinctive to the out-of-state institution, the Office of Graduate Admissions will certify directly the applicant's eligibility.