Alternative Methods for Earning Academic Credit

  • Advanced Placement Exams of the College Board
  • International Baccalaureate
  • College-level courses taken through high school cooperatives, such as Syracuse University Project Advance (SUPA)

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The university considers credit for most of the thirty-four specific subject CLEP exams providing the student has not previously attempted a similar course of study at a college-level. Scores acceptable for credit are comparable to attaining a level of accomplishment equal to a C in a graded course situation with exception for language exams. Individual exams may earn a student three to twelve credits depending on the nature and scope of the material covered. 

Credit granted for CLEP exams may be applied toward degree requirements and to the total credits specified for a particular degree program when approved by the dean of the college/school in which the student is subsequently a candidate for a degree. Information about CLEP is available at the Office of Transfer Affairs, 360 Waterman, (802) 656-0867 or email:

Credit by Exam

A degree student may, under the following conditions, receive credit for a course by taking a special exam and paying the special exam fee charge of $50 per credit. The exam fee must be paid prior to taking the exam.

A request for such an exam must be made in writing at least one month before the date of the exam, and it must be approved by the student’s advisor, the chair of the department in which the course is given, and the dean, in that order. The student must not have audited, previously received a grade or mark, or have attempted a prior special exam in this course at UVM or at any other institution of higher education. Only specific university courses may be challenged using a special exam. Readings and Research, Honors Research, etc., are specifically excluded. Special Topics may be challenged only if that course is offered during the semester in which the special exam is being requested. The student may not take a special exam in a course whose content is presupposed by courses already taken; or in a course for which transfer credit has been received; or in a currently enrolled or previously taken course. In cases of uncertainty, the department chair shall decide whether it is appropriate for the student to take a special exam for credit in a particular course. Upon passing the special exam, as determined by the examiner and the chair of the department in which the course is given, the student receives credit, but not a grade, for the course. Credit by Exam forms are available in the student forms section of the Office of the Registrar website.

Credit for Military Service/DANTES Credit

Veterans should present form DD 214; active duty personnel should present form DD 295 directly from the educational officer on the base. Army, Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard personnel should have a Joint Services Transcript (JST) sent electronically by creating a Joint Services Transcript (JST) account online and clicking on the transcripts tab. Air Force and Space Force personnel should request an official transcript from the Community College of the Air Force through their Air Force Virtual Education Center account. Under 'CCAF Student Services' you can select 'Order a Transcript'. 

Students should contact the Office of Transfer Affairs, (802) 656-0867, or email: for more information.