Degree Student Status

Definition: Undergraduate degree students who have presented appropriate credentials for admission and have been accepted as students in a degree program. The following actions apply only to degree students.

Intercollege Transfers

Degree students may transfer to another college/school within the University. To do so, students must complete the online Change of Major/College form and obtain the approval of the college/school to which they are seeking a transfer. Some programs require the completion of additional application materials.  Students seeking a transfer must have a cumulative GPA of 2.00 with the following exceptions.

  • College of Arts and Sciences (CAS):  Students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher (in at least 12 credits completed at UVM and within their most recently completed semester) and cannot have any incompletes (INC’s) or missing grades. If the student's cumulative GPA is above 2.0 but the most recent semester GPA is below 2.0, the student will be placed on academic probation. If a student has junior or senior standing, the student will be required to meet with a CAS Student Services Advisor prior to the transfer.
  • Grossman School of Business (GSB): Students must complete one semester of Economics (EC 011 or EC 012) and one semester of Calculus (MATH 019 or MATH 021), each with a grade of C- or higher and an overall Business Core GPA of a 2.25 or higher. All completed Business Core classes will be assessed during the application review process. All Business Core classes must meet the C- or higher grade requirement and overall 2.25 GPA or higher. In addition, a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher is required for transfer admission into the Grossman School of Business and students must be in good academic standing (not on trial/academic probation), and may not have any Incomplete, XC, or M grades pending.
  • College of Engineering & Mathematical Sciences (CEMS): A semester and cumulative GPA of at least 2.00 is required for transfer admission into all programs. Prerequisite courses and minimum grade requirements vary by program. Additional information can be found on the CEMS Internal Transfer Guidelines website.
  • College of Education and Social Services (CESS): A cumulative GPA of at least a 2.50 is required for transfer admission into teacher licensure programs in the College of Education and Social Services. A cumulative GPA of 2.30 is required for transfer admission into the Social Work program. A cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required for admission into the Human Development and Family Studies, and the Individually Designed majors.
  • College of Nursing and Health Sciences (CNHS): The minimum GPA and prerequisite requirements for transfer vary by program. Transfers will be approved only if space is available and may be conditional upon students satisfactorily completing requirements set out by the new college/school. 

Re-entry to the University

Previously enrolled undergraduate students who were working toward a degree and who wish to return to the University following a voluntary leave should complete the online Re-entry Application.

Withdrawal from the University

Degree students who wish to withdraw from the University must first notify (in person or in writing) Student Services in the Dean's Office of their college/school.

Medical Withdrawal

Degree students who wish to withdraw from all current courses at the University for medical reasons must contact Student Services in the Dean's Office of their college/school to discuss their intention to medically withdraw.  For more information, please refer to the complete policy.

Leave of Absence

A leave of absence means that a student who is eligible for continued enrollment ceases to be enrolled and is guaranteed readmission.

  1. Students must submit a request for a leave of absence to their college/school prior to the beginning of the semester that the leave will take effect. Leave requests must be approved by the student's college/school.
  2. Leaves are granted for a finite period of time, and normally may not exceed 4 semesters.
  3. While on leave, the student’s status is temporarily inactivated. A leave of absence guarantees an individual's readmission only if the student submits a re-entry application by the specified date before the corresponding semester.
  4. Upon readmission, students should contact Residential Life to review their on-campus housing options/requirements.
  5. Unused financial aid will not be carried over. Upon readmission, students must reapply for financial aid according to the Office of Student Financial Services policies and procedures in effect at that time.

Distance Education Student Status

A distance education student is a student whose primary affiliation with UVM is as a student matriculated in a distance education degree or academic certificate program where the majority of content is delivered at a distance. There may be a minimal residency component of the program that is exclusively available to the matriculated distance education students. A distance student may not register for an on-campus course; however a residential student may register for courses offered through a distance program on a space availability basis.

Student tuition is billed according to their primary affiliation with UVM. These categories are residential or distance. When tuition differs between these categories, tuition is billed according to the primary affiliation of the student for any courses taken.

Non-Degree Student Status

This category applies to non-degree students who have presented minimum credentials, meet the course level prerequisites, and have completed a Professional and Continuing Education (PACE) application form. Non-degree students may enroll in up to 19 credit hours per semester while completing a PACE academic certificate, pursuing professional development, and/or completing admission requirements for an undergraduate or graduate degree program.  Visiting students enrolled at another institution and are in good standing may take courses through PACE.  Credit hours earned may be transferable to their home institution. Credit hours earned by non-degree students prior to matriculation into a UVM degree program must be approved by a UVM school or college.  Non-degree students enrolling in graduate courses for the purpose of transferring the credits into a graduate degree should review the Non-Degree Student Course Enrollment for Graduate Credit guidelines.

An application is required of all individuals enrolling in non-degree courses.  Non-degree students may enroll for a maximum of 19 credit hours per semester.  Non-degree students register for courses two weeks (14 days) after course registration opens for UVM degree students.

Selection of courses for those having long-range plans of earning a degree should be made in consultation with information provided by this catalogue.  Students interested in making a formal application for admission to the university should contact the Office of Undergraduate or Graduate Admissions.  Non-degree students are encouraged to work with a PACE student services professional to discuss their educational goals and enrollment support needs.  Students are required to meet with a PACE student services professional, once reached 18 credit hours (6 if enrolled in graduate courses), unless in a certificate or other sequenced professional development program.