Spanish Co-Major

All students must meet the University Co-Major Requirements.

The co-major offers students outside of the College of Arts and Sciences the opportunity to complete advanced coursework in Spanish language. (Students who are enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences can complete the same coursework through the Spanish B.A.) Students apply to the co-major through an application available from the School of World Languages and Cultures ( Once the application is submitted, students must meet with an advisor in their home college or school to ensure that the co-major can be completed along with degree requirements. Accepted students must also meet with an advisor in the co-major to outline their course of study in the language. 

Co-Major Requirements

30 credits in major courses, including:

SPAN 3110Topics in Composition & Convrs3
SPAN 3610Analyzing Hispanic Literatures3
Choose 1 of the following:3
Spain: Diversity & Expansion
LatAm: Colonialism&Resistance
Choose 1 of the following:3
Spain: Monarchy to Democracy
LatAm: Revolutn&Globalizatn
Advanced Coursework. 2 courses/6 credits from the following:6
SPAN numbered 4400 to 4699
Electives. 9-12 additional credits from the following:9-12
SPAN numbered 3115 to 3700, or SPAN 3102, or SPAN 3990
SPAN numbered 4100 to 4700, or SPAN 4990
Up to 3 additional credits from the following:0-3
Internship, with prior approval of the program director: SPAN 3991, SPAN 4991
Undergraduate Research: SPAN 3995, SPAN 4995
Honors: SPAN 4996


Spanish language through SPAN 2200: Intermediate II or the equivalent.

Other Information

Only one course may overlap between the co-major and a minor or between the co-major and student’s major in the home unit.

Courses for the co-major and/or its pre/co-requisites that are cross-listed in the catalog or schedule of courses under another course prefix may be taken under that other prefix and still count for these requirements.

With the approval of the chair/director, courses that applied to the co-major in previous years but have since been deactivated may be applied to this year’s co-major requirements if they are reactivated.

At least half of the credits used to complete co-major requirements must be taken at the University of Vermont.